Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Will the use of AmmoLock inhibit the cycling of a new tank?

I used AmmoLock two days ago because the ammonia spiked because my tank is relatively new and is cycling. I also used StressZyme to bring in the beneficial bacteria needed to nitrify the ammonia. I know that the AmmoLock doesn't get rid of ammonia, and if I took a reading my levels of toxic ammonia would be false. I know that it only binds with the toxic ammonia to make it non-toxic, and that it is only a temporary fix. I know that water changes are the only way to rid the ammonia, which I am doing on a daily basis. My question is will the nitrifying bacteria breakdown the ammonia, whether its in its non-toxic or toxic form? I don't want to be using this stuff if it would slow the cycling process for any reason. But on the other hand, my one goldfish had ammonia burn, which he is healing from, as a result of the spike in ammonia. I don't him or the other fish I have to suffer the consequences of too much toxic ammonia. I want to protect my fish, while the new tank cycles.

No comments:

Post a Comment