Thursday, August 4, 2011

Question about ammonia and bleach exposure?

A few days ago my toilet wouldnt flush...I then realized that a plastic spoon had fallen in...process of elimination as to what was on top of the toilet I knew that was what was blocking it...tried plunging again and again and again...tried using a coat hanger to snag it...no dice...so today I figured I'd clean it before sticking my hand in the toilet...I grabbed bleach and poured some in...first mistake...second mistake was I didnt dilute it...third mistake I didnt think of the reaction between urine (ammonia) and bleach...anyways I continued scrubbing when one of my nostrils started stinging not burning...immediately I opened the window and left the bathroom--got a fan and had it pointing towards the window...I was only in the bathroom for about 3-4 minutes before I left to get fresh air...for about 5-10 minutes I had the smell of bleach in my nose...about an hour after everything was back to normal no scent no stinging...also I didnt have any coughing or wheezing...am I at any risk? I called posion control they said I should be fine but I have panic disorder and sometimes I tend to refuse that everything is A-okay...I would think I didnt have enough exposure to it to cause long term damage...especially since I felt fine relatively fast proceeding the incident...about 4 hours after I returned to the bathroom and the smell/potency was gone...flushed the toilet and the damn thing flushed fine...I guess the plastic spoon got dissolved or broke and it passed through? Once again any insight on to if I can stop worrying about pulmonary edema or anything like that would be greatly appreciated...thank you if you reply. BTW there wasnt much urine in the bowl...most had drained only maybe one cup remained...a measurement cup that is...

No comments:

Post a Comment